fd

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Icy waters ahead!

Today we spent time exploring Lake Bled! The town is clearly a tourist destination with its many hotels and casino- all of which look like they are stuck in the 1970's. But, it's impossible to ignore the beauty here!

We took a hike up to the castle which sits on a cliff overlooking the lake, and when I say hike I mean it... Just wait till I post pictures, it was steep! The views were so worth it though of the frozen lake below.

Our big adventure was going to the island to see the church. Since the lake is frozen we decided to walk ON the lake the whole way which was pretty far! I'm not going to lie, it was terrifying standing in the middle of a frozen lake, but with tons of Slovenians out there too we felt like they had to know it was safe, right? We later learned the ice is about 1.5 inches thick and it only has to be 0.5 inches thick to hold the weight of a person so we were pretty safe. But still, every time I thought I heard a cracking noise my adrenaline levels spiked!

We're off to Venice for carnival tomorrow... let the new adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment