Well after a long night of travel we arrived at Jaegers Hostel in Munich! It was a short night of sleep but the sunshine outside was a nice way to wake us up! Today we blasted through some German history and culture in a very short amount of time! We saw the carillon (imagine a giant cuckoo clock) in the New Townhall go off (rated second most disappointing attraction in Europe but I liked it!) and after grabbed lunch from various street vendors.
We took advantage of a free tour of the central attractions which I learned a lot from! We also literally covered the entire history of Germany and Munich which was rough at some points (I took a year long class on German history in high school... 3 hours can't do it all justice!) I think walking the streets where a lot of things we talked about in that class happened was just amazing! I learned tons of interesting facts but one of the most interesting was that only 5 percent of Munich's buildings survived WWI and the reason 2 of its most famous landmarks survived is because bombers spared them to use as markers of the city from above to know where to aim. The history here is so different than what I'm used to and I love it.
I wrapped up the day by seeing the panoramic of the city from the top of St. Peters clock tower and having dinner at the Hofbrauhaus! German beer halls are pretty incredible but the hot restaurant and huge crows (not to mention being surrounded by more beer than I've ever seen in my life) left me exhausted!
Tomorrow we're off to Neuschwanstein to further my goal of becoming a princess by exploring a castle!
No comments:
Post a Comment