fd

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thoughts on the Opera, and it's that time of the week!

Two great things are going to happen in this blog post.
1. I went to the Opera last night, and feel compelled to enlighten you on my thoughts throughout the entirely Italian performance.
2. Wednesday=Foods of Italy class day! So, I get to share mouth watering pictures and fun Italian food facts.
     
Let's get started.
1. Kenan, Kaitlin, and I headed to the Opera last night for the performance of Tosca. The theatre was about 20 minutes away (we only got a little lost) and we were in the nosebleeds. But, we could see clearly and it was fun to be in the huge theatre! For your personal enjoyment, I've provided a generalized play-by-play of what ran through my head during the performance.
  
- Wow, they have Italian subtitles on a screen! This will be great because I am so capable of reading some Italian
- (30 seconds in) Wow, I know zero Italian.
- This is great! They are so in love.
- I wish that in real life people sang everything they said.
- I'm a little confused as to why this man keeps running on and off the stage.
- YES a dancing clergymen scene!
- Why is that guy holding a gun to the Bishop's head?
- The curtain goes down, and they are doing a curtain call... is it over?
- It's not over.
- Wow, the fat man is not a nice man.
- Yikes! Lover boy has blood all over him!
- Homegirl is totally going to kill the fat guy...
- Yup, she killed him.
- The curtain went down, can this really be the end?
- JK, it's a three act Opera.
- Why are they on a roof?
- Yay, the lovers are reunited!
- Why is he not worried about the firing squad about to shoot him?
- I hate gun noises in plays.
- Why is she surprised he's dead after being shot?
- Holy cowbells, she just jumped off the roof.
-Third curtain call, my hands hurt from clapping.
  
So clearly, you can tell this is a play about a man who has been arrested for assisting a Liberal escapee from jail, is tortured to reveal where he has run off to, is in love with a lady who takes a bribe with the police officer to keep him alive, and then the police officer does not keep his promise, but the lady killed him before she knew that so then they all die. 
  
But really, it was a beautiful Opera and I enjoyed it completely despite not having a clue what was going on. I'd do it again. 
All dressed up for our classy night out!
Tonight was my fourth cooking class with Michele! We studied the Lombardy and Liguria areas of Italy (in the north) and made a lot of food today! The dishes included:

Bresaola, which is cured beef, which he sprinkled with lemon juice and olive oil

Testaroli with fresh pesto.
Cotoletta alla Milanese (Veal covered in breadcrumbs and cooked in butter) , with the other way to serve the pesto, with pasta, potatoes, and green beans.

Torta di cioccolato (chocolate cake)
The coolest thing was the testaroli. It's known as "poor cuisine" because all you use to make it is lukewarm water, flour, and a little salt. You pour it into the frying pan and cook it so it kind of looks like a tortilla. Then, you take them and cut them up, and mix them with sauce just like pasta! It sounds weird, but it was delicious! It's not that hard to make either! (I say this after many struggles learning to make them)


I'm off to Munich tomorrow night! I can't believe how quickly this week has flown by!

No comments:

Post a Comment