As the end is in sight for my time abroad, I'm trying to take of advantage of the fact I have limited time left living in Italy. After being here for so long, I forget about the romance and beauty people paint in their minds about what Italy is like. When I was in London, people would sigh when I said I lived in Italy... there's just something magical about this place that's contagious!
It's easy to forget how wonderful it is though, because living here is just like living anywhere else, you just do everything differently! I forget that this is a destination for tourists because I'm too busy rushing to class or dragging my groceries home from the store. Trust me, a city becomes much less romantic when you have to take your garbage to the urine-smelling alleys with the dumpsters.
This week though, I've been reminded of how awesome Italy is. On Monday, our class went to the Medici Chapels for a field trip. But really, how cool is it that we get to go to the places we learn about in class? And the thing is, we just walked in the room and BAM there are statues by Michelangelo. And the thing is, I'm not even phased anymore, but it's SO COOL. I have to remind myself that some people have not nor may not ever see a sculpture or painting by this Renaissance master... and I just went on a rainy Monday morning for class.
After class today, Anna and I went to the "slow food" festival (I have no idea why it's called that) which just happens to be going on by the Santa Maria Novella Church. Wandering through the stalls, I was surrounded by local cheeses, mouthwatering desserts, and panini with tons of different meats. Bring on the food. I had a pork sandwich (I watched the woman carve it off the pig!) and a cannoli, and just ate it in the sunshine. Just another Thursday afternoon in Italia.
Finally, tonight I went to Gusta Pizza, got a Margherita pizza to go, and went and sat on the Ponte San Trinita and watched the sun shine on the Ponte Vecchio as it was setting. It was just beautiful. And as I sat there eating that entire pizza by myself (never underestimate my capacity to eat Italian food), I was amazed at how comfortable I was being by myself and eating in this beautiful city. I then went and got gelato (just because I could) and enjoyed it on the next bridge over as the sun continued to set... what will I do when I can't cross the Arno each day back home?
As I strolled back through town, I passed a young couple dragging their suitcases down the street, clearly just arriving from the train station. And I saw the woman's face as she looked down the street and saw the Duomo's dome for the first time. Her mouth went agape and she couldn't take her eyes off it as a smile spread upon her face. And I just couldn't help but smile, because I remembered my first day here three months ago and feeling that way, just astounded by the beauty of it all, because it's nothing short of incredible. Yet, I walk past the Duomo multiple times a day, and I forget to stop and stare. And as I sat by the San Lorenzo Market listening to an accordion play nearby it really hit me I'm going to miss Italy.
Each day now, we get more excited about going home--seeing friends, eating burritos and biscuits (preferably not together, but at this point I'd do it), and scratching our dogs behind the ears. But I want to be sure to be careful not to leave this place in a hurry. Who knows when I'll be back, and in the end when it comes down to it what I feel for this city right now is nothing short of amore.





No comments:
Post a Comment