fd

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Holy Thursday

This week ended on a high note as everyone is excited for Easter break! We get a day off classes Monday so we're very excited for the four day weekend! We are lucky enough to be headed to the Cinque Terre for this Easter holiday and we are ready for this vacation! I've got my books, sunscreen, and tennis shoes ready for a weekend of hiking and (hopefully) sunbathing. We're not sure if the weather will be on our side, but I've also got my rain jacket if the whole sunbathing thing doesn't work out. And a huge box of cookies if it's too cold for bathing suits--I'm prepared for everything. 

Around 9:30 tonight as I was laying in bed in my pajamas (we go hard on Thursday nights), Kaitlin comes running up the stairs and out of breath explains that the Duomo was doing something for Maundy Thursday (or, Holy Thursday). I put on some real clothes and we all bounded the whole 10 yards to the church's entrance. Apparently we missed the processional, but people were flocking to see the decorated chapel for this holiday. All of the lights in the massive Duomo were off except for the ones surrounding the alter around a picture of the last supper. All around the painting were tons of beautiful white flowers of all kinds, and they seemed to glow in the spotlight. People were gathered in the benches praying (Nuns from local convents were stopping by!), although most of the crowd was tourists. I was very overwhelmed by how beautiful it was and we are lucky we got to see it! It was an incredible way to really reflect on the importance of this day.

 Kenan got a picture so here's a little peek at what we saw. Of course, pictures don't do it justice!! 
We're excited to see what other Easter Celebrations we will come across... it's weird not being home at Easter-time with family, but I'm excited to celebrate it in a completely different culture. In case I don't get back to the blogging world this weekend, Buona Pasqua da Italia!

No comments:

Post a Comment