fd

Monday, January 23, 2012

Just a day, just an ordinary day

Today was back to school for us which wasn't easy after what felt like a very short weekend! Class wasn't too bad today-- one of my regular teachers is sick so we had a substitute who spoke much more english than we are used to in class... it was such a relief! We got our midterm quiz (Yes, midterm. What is this whirlwind class anyway?!) and I did much better than expected so that was reassuring as well.
   
Our cultural activity of the day was a lecture about Immigration and Italy. It's very different than the United States in some ways, but in others it's strikingly similar. The country hasn't really seemed to figure out how to deal with the massive wave of immigration that's been happening in the last few years, especially after the many revolutions in the northern African countries. We had an interesting class discussion and I learned quite a bit! Here's a good video we watched in class if you're at all interested: Lampedusa: Italian island at the sharp end of immigration
   
This afternoon I went to the market to get yet more groceries. Italians go to the store almost every day and I can see why! You never buy more than you can carry, and you're constantly buying fresh bread and vegetables! Fortunately, buying groceries at Billa instead of going out to eat every day helps keep my spending low. Unfortunately, I have very limited cooking skills and pasta for every meal is getting a little redundant (I know, I swore I wouldn't say it but it finally happened). 
  
Tonight I made a "pizzadilla" of sorts, with a thin bread (kind of like a flour tortilla but thicker) plain tomato sauce, a yellow pepper, mozzarella (I had to slice the ball of it, no shredded cheese here!), and a cut up fresh tomato. I heated it on the stove top (being without an oven limits our capabilities) and it was delicious! Plus, I got three bread rounds, a pepper, tomatoes, sauce, and mozzarella for about 6 euro. That's three meals for 2 euro each!

If you have any stove-top meal suggestions send them my way! The search is on for new and different recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment