fd

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Exploring the Palazzo Vecchio

After class today we had the chance to have a tour of the Palazzo Vecchio, or "the old palace". The history behind this place is so complex I can do it no justice on this blog, but it is an incredible building! 
The reason this building is called the "old palace" is because its original function was to be the palace of the reigning Medici family. However, Cosimo I (a guy whose history is so confusing I'm not even going to go there) married Eleonora di Toledo, who did not like the lack of gardens in the palace, so she commissioned the building of the Pitti Palace across the river. The Palazzo Vecchio then became essentially the town hall of Florence, and is still used for that function today (alongside the museum occupying the old parts of the palace.) 
  
We were fortunate enough to be given a tour by a museum guide and he gave us fascinating information about the art in the building. I didn't take any pictures in the main room, the Salone dei Cinquecento, but its gigantic frescos on the walls and oil paintings on the gold framed ceiling take your breath away. Our tour continued through many beautifully decorated rooms such as this one, with lavish gilded ceilings and decorations. 
 I could go on and on about the history of this place and the symbolism behind every detail you see in the art and decoration of the entire building. Below is one of the more famous original statues found outside the palace (a copy is there now) titled Judith and Holorfernes by Donatello. I'm probably going to butcher the entire symbolism of this statue, but it was built at the time of early Renaissance Florence as a symbol of Florence under the Medici rule. Judith is beheading Holorfernes in the statue (based off a story). Judith represents Florence as a city whose virtue triumphs over tyranny and holds power over enemies. Just what the Medici's wanted to portray.
 Yeah, who would have guessed a statue could say that much. Phew.
  
Our tour ended with a fun interaction with the Grand Dutchess Eleonora di Toledo. This woman has spent years reading hundreds of texts about Eleonora and we got to sit and have a chat with the Grand Dutchess herself, who was very confused about why all of us girls were not married and wearing pants. She did a great job looking and acting the part! 
 After our tour some of us went and got hot chocolate at a cafe, and boy do I love it. My friends describe it as a melted chocolate bar. I describe it as perfection. Yet another addiction I'm going to have to deal with...

No comments:

Post a Comment