fd

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Good food means it's a good day

Today, I was planning to get out of bed at 9, and ended up dead asleep until 1... oops! After pulling myself out of my dark room I went into the kitchen and swung open the window. As I pulled the doors open, birds flew past the window and the sounds of the organ from mass in the Duomo filled our flat. Surreal and beautiful, yet I still can't believe I live here!

After my lazy morning my flat-mates and I got our first gelato experience! We went to Grom which is a convenient 3 minute walk from our flat. It was super crowded and I couldn't see the menu (or let's be real, read the Italian descriptions on the wall). I ended up ordering mela (apple) gelato and it was divine. Grom is known for having organic and local ingredients and there were little bits of apple peel in the gelato.       
                                         
After that we did a little shopping. Florence is currently in a "sale season" of sorts. Most of the clothes and shoes that are not high-end designers are having sales generally around 50% off for the next couple weeks. We went to the 4 story H&M, Zara, and strolled through a bunch of carts with leather goods. It was very crowded but it was fun people watching to see the style of the Italians-- very different than Americans! 
 


For dinner we decided to go out to eat since most restaurants are closed on Sundays. We decided on a recommendation of a restaurant 5 minutes away called the Yellow Bar. I know, I know, what's with the English name? Well, we couldn't figure it out, since all of the staff were Italian and 90% of the customers were Italian! But we pushed our doubts aside and were seated immediately (around 7:45, early by Italian standards). 

Our food was out within minutes of ordering. I split a bruschetta appetizer with Kenan and had gnocchi rosé (potato dumpling/pasta with a tomato and cream sauce). Everyone enjoyed their meal and nearly cleared our plates! After splitting the bill I spent about 14 euro for all I got which was not bad (it's the first time I've been full since being in Italy)! By the time we left there was a line out the door and on the street, which always a good sign! We had a great night and now somehow I’m exhausted again so I’m off to bed soon!


Our table was covered with food! Ainslie and Kaitlin ordered the same dish so they served it to them in the pan they cooked it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment