Today I decided to check out St. Mark's Anglican Church in Florence. Although rather unassuming from the outside, the inside of this church was beautiful! The congregation only had about 25 people, and I was probably the youngest person there. The service was very, very traditionally Anglican so once again I was totally winging it, but I'm all about new and awkward experiences!
Probably the highlight of this experience was that while leaving the service, the pastor asked me if I was coming to a luncheon they were having. I said I didn't have anything to bring but he insisted I should stay... so instead of ducking out of the clearly awkward circumstance I went for it! Probably the best part was meeting quite a variety of people-- here are some profiles of the most notable.
1. An Italian couple who literally looked straight out a movie they were so Italian. The man is a historian and she is either a biologist or pharmacist (Italian accents are rough, yall) at a local hospital. He's planning a move for them in the next few years to an english speaking country in order to get out of the situation with the Euro. His three options are outside of London, Arizona, or New Zealand. They go to this church to help work on their English skills.
2. A man from Melborne, Australia who is the only male in the 5 person choir. He brings them down a whole octave! (I hope someone gets that reference). He mostly just talked about how much he liked the food (there were about 5 different types of quiches there).
3. A 79 year old retired Anglican pastor from Texas. He worked at churches in Mexico City, Costa Rica, and Guatemala for a long time. Blind in one eye, he filled me in on the differences between this church and the Anglican church in the United states and told me about the Post Office's cafeteria near my apartment where he likes the cooked vegetables.
4. A british man who has a daughter my age studying in California right now. He was the most friendly and reminded me how awesome british accents are.
5. A sculptor/actor from Pennsylvania who traveled in his younger years through the southern US doing acting? Most notably, his voice sounded exactly like Jack Black's.
So there you have it, my bizarre morning ended up pretty interesting by just saying "yes" to a new situation... we'll see where I end up next Sunday!
Love it!
ReplyDelete