Please excuse the cheesy title but for the first time in my life I can use the phrase and it actually be relevant!
Today we woke up at 4:30 and headed to Rome via bus. We had a jam packed day and started right away touring the coliseum, palatino, and forum. We had two hours to explore and I was a little disappointed because it was not nearly enough time! They are so interesting but with our limited time we definitely didn't get to appreciate them as much as we could have. In typical fashion of my travel experiences though we happened to be right in the middle of a protest after touring! Details are still unclear but it had something to do with the government changing the age of retirement for construction workers, and unions from all over the country came to protest. I could tell Stefano, one of my teachers and one of our guides, was a little stressed about it all!
Fortunately the protest didn't put us behind schedule and we left Italy for the smallest country in the world, the Vatican! We grabbed a quick lunch and headed into the Vatican museum with our guided tour. I could go on and on about the cool things I learned and saw but I won't bore you just yet. I think my favorite part though was St.Peter's basilica- the sheer size of it was astounding!
Our whirlwind day ended well as we got rooms in a nice hotel and had a very good Italian dinner topped off with a McDonalds sundae (this is getting to be a bad habit...)
It may be 10 pm but I have a feeling I'll be asleep soon-- another busy day in Rome awaits!
No comments:
Post a Comment