After packing my suitcases and a very hectic day, I finally got around to finishing my food in the fridge by making tomato sauce. I have been working on my tomato sauce all semester, but I could never get it to taste like Michele's. I try this and that, but my foods teacher always reigns supreme. So, I heat up my oil like I always do and crush my garlic and throw it in the pot. I chatted with Michele last night about the perfect sauce, and he said brown the garlic, but don't let it burn. If it burns, throw it out. So as I stand here in my apartment cooking, I look down and realize...
I burnt the Garlic.
Now normally, I would just dump it out and grab new clove of garlic. But when I looked in the community garlic bowl, there were no more cloves. Because it's the end. We don't need any more garlic because it is my last day cooking in our cramped little kitchen. Last night was my last night sleeping in my Florentine apartment. It is my last day hanging my head out the window and inhaling the city air as the Duomo's campanile rings in front of me. It's my last day.
I am so lucky to be here. I truly am. I could not be more blessed by this opportunity to really throw myself into a completely new world. I had never left the country or been away from home more than a month before I came here. Not only have I been away for four months, I am living and functioning in a city where I don't even speak the language. A culture that I will never completely understand but that I find beautiful in so many ways. A continent different than what I call home. I made myself as uncomfortable as possible, but have found comfort in the confidence I have seen grow in myself, and the faith I have in a great God that has not left me to do this alone.
I have laughed, I have cried, I have traveled, and I have stayed in bed. I have witnessed beautiful things and seen discouraging things. But most of all, I have seen the world in a new way, and have a new understanding of things that are bigger than me. I have learned both sitting at a desk and just observing people around me. The phrase in Italian is la vita รจ bella, but each day I've been reminded, life truly is beautiful.
I may not have done everything right, but all's well that ends well. And by the way, it was the best tomato sauce I've made to date.
No comments:
Post a Comment